The Geological Society of South Africa (GSSA) hosted a 3-day workshop entitled “Foundations for a Geological Career”. The GSSA contacted Digby Wells Environmental to present the GIS and Remote Sensing component of the workshop.
Digby Wells Environmental CEO, Mr Graham Trusler, and Divisional Manager, Mr Andre van Coller’s paper on the topic of Arsenic Management in Gold Mine Water Circuits, West-African Case Studies was selected, and subsequently presented by Mr Andre van Coller at the prestigious World Gold Conference hosted in Perth, Australia.
The conference, a joint venture between The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (The AusIMM), the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM) and the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM) was a global gathering of resource industry professionals with presentations completed by leading industry figures, and included all aspects of gold mining, including exploration, geosciences, mining (including geotechnical aspects), metallurgy (processing), environment and related themes.
The presentation completed by Andre, focused on:
- The geochemical investigations on the sources and solubility of arsenic;
- A discussion on how these predictions matched actual measured results;
- The tools such as water and salt balances to fully understand the planned mine systems and the transport of the contaminant; and
- Mitigation and management options applied as well as the stability and longevity (post-closure) of all management options
For further information on the presentation, please contact Mr Andre van Coller
Climate change has emerged as one of the biggest environmental challenges facing the world.
On 1 June 2019, new legislation aimed at curbing carbon emissions came into effect in South Africa. This forms part of South Africa’s commitment to reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions by 34% by 2020 and 42% by 2025.
Digby Wells can offer the following services:
- Tax based calculations in accordance with the DEA methodology.
- Emission reduction strategies to reduce Carbon Tax .
- Registration and licencing on the NAEIS.
- Emission inventory compilation.
- GapAnalysis and Reporting of the data collection for direct and indirect emissions.
- Compulsory Pollution Prevention plans and annual progress reporting.